OLEC 1: Access Overhead Lines Construction Sites - Session 1
Duration: 1 Day
Max Delegates: 12
OLEC 1: Access Overhead Lines Construction Sites
Purpose: The purpose of this competence unit is to define the requirements for persons required to access overhead line construction sites safely and effectively.
Scope: This competence unit applies in all circumstances where any person is required to access overhead line construction sites safely and effectively and in line with requirements. The level and extent of responsibility shall include their own safety and that of others who they accompany. The person shall be expected to refer to others for authorisation when required, be responsible for the implementation of instructions, and work within set procedures and specifications. The person’s actions shall not compromise the safety of others.
This competence unit shall be used to assess the competence of people accessing overhead line construction sites in line with relevant processes and procedures.
Competence Unit: To prove competence in this unit, the person shall be able to demonstrate their ability to access OLE construction sites safely and effectively in line with process and procedures. The person shall also have to show that they can follow recording, reporting and escalation procedures.
Course Outline: The topics covered on the course are as follows:
1. How the construction activity may affect the safe operation of the railway
2. How the OLE is designed to function under normal operating conditions.
3. What procedures need to be followed, to confirm operational and personal safety is maintained during the work.
4. How to avoid personal injury during the work.
5. What each of the component parts contribute to the overall operation of the OLE system.
6. What terminology and methods are used to identify OLE and describe operational status of the equipment.
7. What the limits of your responsibility and authority are.
8. Reporting lines and escalation procedures.
9. Industry protocols relating to communication of important safety information.